Sunday, March 8, 2009

Endless Possibilities


As student about to graduate, I am constantly thinking about "WHAT'S NEXT". In one of my classes entitled "Transition to the Marketing Professional" we learn how to differentiate ourselves from other students and employees by creating our own personal brand. An article by Tom Peters, "A Brand Called You", was extremely helpful in conceptualizing the idea while a new software, whyhire.me, is in the process of making the brand more tangible. On April 2, 2009 our class is hosting a networking event, FRESH MEET: Young talent you can sink your teeth into, where we have the opportunity to network and learn from business executives across various industries while also showcasing our brands and what we have to offer employers.

I have been in a few interviews over the past month and the preparation I have received from Algonquin College has helped me set myself apart while also instilling in me a confidence about my diverse set of skills and abilities. What I am beginning to realize is that I am a unique brand and "WHAT'S NEXT" is really up to me.

With the economy in a downturn and marketing budgets getting slashed, hacked or cut all together you think I would be worried about the next few months following graduation. The reality however, is that this is the time when companies must grasp at the opportunities and take hold of the volatile market to capture more market share. It is as if the economy has put businesses back to basics where the focus is on ROI! The market is now more competitive and dynamic and employers must take a strategic approach to recruiting and selecting employees that have a unique brand of offerings. Like the old Chinese saying "May you live in interesting times", I believe as a fresh graduate seeking employment these times are indeed interesting but also the driver for change. What we new grads offer is a unique set to technological skills, but also a new perspective on business and business opportunities. I am not worried about the next few years of economic turmoil, I embrace them knowing that I have a brand that thrives on competition and change but most importantly will deliver a solid ROI.

1 comment:

  1. Good Post Sarah. I find it frustrating hearing about tough economic times and that it's going to put a strain on employement and business opportunities, but you bring a great point by saying the new grads can offer new perspectives.

    It's great and all that a company has a bunch of "old timers" but the times change and a few new fresh faces and ideas can be beneficial.

    ReplyDelete